Molokai Fun Facts
1. Molokai is said to be the birthplace of Hula.
2. Molokai is 1.3 to 1.8 million years old and is the fifth largest of the 8 main Hawaiian islands. It is Located just below the Tropic of Cancer.
3. The population of Molokai is approximately 7400.
4. Molokai is 38 miles long and 10 miles wide. The total area of Molokai is 260.02 square miles.
5. Molokai boasts the tallest sea cliffs in the world. Some are more than 3,000 feet high.
6. The Highest point on Molokai is Mount Kamakou which stands 4,970 feet high.
7. Molokai has 88 miles of unspoiled pristine coastline.
8. In 1866 the first victims of Hanson’s disease (Leprosy) where shipped to Kalaupapa to quarantine them from the rest of the island. Kalaupapa was virtually cut of from the rest of the island on three sides by the Pacific ocean and on the fourth side by 1600 foot sea cliffs.
9. Molokai has no traffic lights, no shopping malls and no skyscrapers. There is no building taller that the Tallest palm tree.
10. Molokai has the largest population of true Hawaiians of any of the Hawaiian Islands and is sometimes Called the most Hawaiian Island.
11. Molokai has 106 miles of shoreline with only 6 beaches that one can safely swim in. There are only 7 Hotels and the largest town, Kaunakakai is only 3 blocks long.
Copyright 2007 Discover-Oahu.com